Book: Part time is Plenty: Thriving without full-time clergy by G. Jeffrey MacDonald
Starting October 21 through November 18. Wednesday evenings, 6:30 pm, Via Zoom (it’s getting cold out)
For our next study, we’re going to read a book about an important and timely topic for Pilgrim Church. We all have thoughts about transitioning to a part time pastor. How can we remain a “real church” with only a part time pastor? Is it even possible? This book has some great insights into these questions. Written by a part time UCC pastor and full time journalist from Massachusetts, this very readable book has some concrete ideas on the possibilities that can arise from a part time pastorate. Join us to see how this book can help us realize going to a part time pastorate is not a problem, but an Opportunity.
Tentative schedule: You can join us for any or all of the sessions
- Oct 21: Week 1: Pre reading: Our thoughts, fears and concerns
- Oct 28: Week 2: Introduction, Chapter 1: Calming (some of) our fears
- Nov 4: Week 3: Chapter 2: The roles of the Laity
- Nov 11: Week 4: Chapter 3: The roles of the Pastor
- Nov 18: Week 5: Chapter 6: Possibilities of Community Partnerships
- (Chapters 4 and 5 you can read on your own)
Please email me, Cindy Maris (firstname.lastname@example.org), if you would like to participate. Also let me know if you would like me to order a book for you. Education team is purchasing the books through Amazon for church members. You can make arrangements to get the books from me (pick up or I will deliver), or you can order your own. *** If you have a Kindle or a Kindle app on a phone or tablet, the Kindle edition is only $2.99 !
I hope to hear from you!